Sunday, April 5, 2009

Relay Wrap-Up

Well Relay for Life happened this weekend and it was AMAZING!!! Absolutely! Not only did my team do awesome, the ceremonies go great, and everyone have a wonderful time, but I also ended up cutting 9 inches off my hair. The Internet is currently not working at the apartment so I am not able to post pictures yet...soon though. I really like my hair how it is. Think Kate from Jon and Kate Plus 8 when it was still cute. Not the long big chunk that sort of just sits in front of her face all the time. 

Any who for a quick rap of everything:
Nanny and Pa came and stayed until about 10 PM. Our team sponsored them as our caregivers which was really neat. It was great to have them experience Relay. 
The only two ceremonies I planned were really GREAT! During the Luminaria ceremony we had a Survivor, a Caregiver, our Fight Back speak who also happened to be a survivor, and then Elizabeth (one of the ones I went to Atlanta with this summer) and myself. It was really cool to have a succession of speakers. We also read a poem called "The Darkened Room" which you can find on the American Cancer Society website if you want to read it. As the poem was read I had 4 other committee members lighting the word "HOPE" in the stands. I hear it was really neat and timed/planned perfectly. I think the best part of the ceremony was that after it was over I saw our ACS Staff Partner, Amy, and she said, "I was really worried you weren't going to pull it off, but that was an amazing ceremony." That was great. I had a vision the whole process it was just difficult to find people to speak but it came together and was one of the best luminaria ceremonies I have ever been involved in. 
Fight Back was the other ceremony I had and it was really powerful to hear a fellow student tell her story of overcoming cancer. 
I have already mentioned one of our team activities, cutting hair for Pantene Beautiful Lengths. We ended up having 8 or 9 people donate on site. That is an incredible number and will make more than one wig. I was the first to have mine cut and my goodness my hair is THICK! It felt like it took forever! But it really does look great! I like it a lot. Jillian was next and hers is also really cute. She is still not a big fan but she has never had short hair. I think it is at least "growing" on the rest of us. 
We had several on site fundraisers also. We raised over $200 on site! That is amazing! I think our best on site was the Cake Walk. We had a $1 entry for 5 chances to win and with over 30 cakes we raised over $50 from that alone! 
So I'm sure you are wondering if I am ever going to finish this post with you know numbers and awards...here you go.
Our team won Most Activity Participation! Our campsite was right across from the stage so it was pretty easy for us to participate but they had some great activities planed! 
We also were announced as 3rd in Fundraising but Jillian and I are thinking that number is not quite correct. With the on site and online funds raised we should be in second place which would make us the highest fundraising "Greek" organization in ETSU history!! But even if we don't get the official distinction of second the announced second place team was two teams put together. 
Thank you to everyone who donated or thought about us the past few days and weeks. We had a great weekend and I can't wait until next year!

0 comments: